Tuesday, July 10, 2012

C.S. Lewis, a Christ-like Teacher

So I've been reading "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis lately, inspired by a renewed love for Christian apologist writing. I love it because it's written from the point of view of a devil giving advice to another devil on how to sway a christian into submission to Satan. C.S. Lewis was a very insightful and brilliant man, and he shows it in his writing. I love the moments while I'm reading this book that make me stop and say, 'hey, maybe I've had that very same problem in my prayers. I should probably do my best to prevent that in the future.' When I read the Narnia chronicles as a little kid, of course I had no idea about the extended metaphor throughout the stories. I just thought that they were good stories. And he is such a great writer, that the stories were fun to read even though I was completely missing the whole theoretical side of it. That's the kind of writer I'd like to be one day; one who can entertain the masses and yet at the same time be able to teach to those who are willing to listen. I think Christ did the same thing with his parables. He kept the truth away from those who were not willing to look for it by entertaining them with interesting stories about real life. Honestly, I think sometimes it's the only way one can speak to the public about religion, especially a critical and skeptical public. To those who don't know what you're talking about, you may seem cryptic or simply entertaining. But to those who know what's really going on and who are willing to study and learn, great truths can be taught more effectively in this way. So as a type of Christ, C.S. Lewis represents to me an excellent teacher, a brilliant, and an inspired writer whom I emulate.

No comments:

Post a Comment