Monday, February 13, 2012

A few Responses on Costuming

So, my emails out to theatre companies haven't really brought up a lot, but one woman gave a lot of suggestions for other places I can look into costuming. Here's what I sent:
Hello,
I'm a student at Brigham Young University, and I'm working on a Shakespeare research paper, focusing on a comparison between Hamlet and Iago (in Othello). I was wondering if you've ever done costuming for these characters before? Even if you haven't, I'd be curious to know what your approach would be towards costuming these characters? How would you show Hamlet as a relatable, or sympathetic character, and how would you show Iago as a 'bad guy'?

This is the response I received, looks like my bad! :

Hi Taylor,

While our CDG Local 892 is a union office whose membership includes costume designers working in film and television, we do not have information into the members’ working research/working styles.  You could do some research by looking up any film version of “Hamlet” via www.imdb.com (Internet Movie Database) and looking under cast/crew to see who the costume designer might have been on that particular film.  You could then check our www.costumedesignersguild.com website to see if that particular designer is a member of our union, and click on their name to see if they have contact information.  You can also peruse our CDG magazine (downloadable online) to see if you find anything that way.

But you might have better luck checking the NY union www.usa829.org the United Scenic Artists Local 829 as their members do include costume designers who work in theatre.  Best of luck!

Best regards,
Cheryl Marshall
Receptionist Administrative Assistant, Ext. 0
cmarshall@cdgia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment