Monday, March 5, 2012

Fanfiction

Before I start, I suppose I need to make some decisions about how close I need to stay to the text. The ideas I'm throwing around are more like adaptations, so I'm hoping Cortnie will have some feedback on how to go about creating fanfiction. I'm staying away from archaic Shakespeare language, because I think that defeats my purpose of making Shakespeare more accessible, specifically to fanfiction readers. I let her know some of my ideas here. Here are some of the ideas I'm working on:
I'm thinking setting could be a sort of modern-day murder mystery, where Hamlet's mother dies slowly of cancer, but Hamlet suspects his dad of giving her drugs and taking her life away too early. So when he goes to see a grief counselor (Polonius), he starts showing signs of obsession and madness, and after a hallucination of his mother's ghost, he kills his counselor/psychiatrist, and gets away with it. So then later, he finally kills his father, his brother (Laertes) suspects his guilt and confronts him about it, getting himself killed.

No comments:

Post a Comment