Monday, January 9, 2012

Dipping my toes in the water

I figured before diving into Shakespeare I should do some sort or preparation for the task ahead. I wanted to make sure that I got a plot overview, so that I would know what is going on in each act, and know where the storyline is going so I don't get lost. So, I found this shortened BBC half-hour claymation version of The Tempest, before I started reading the actual text. It's pretty funny:





It also has subtitles, so you can see the text below as it is being read. I think when you see something performed, as opposed to just reading it, you pick up cues from the actors (or pieces of clay) that you wouldn't necessarily glean from the text. I noticed a couple of spots where I wouldn't have been able to really tell what was going on, but because I had seen it, I could picture it. Like the beginning of act 2, when Sebastian and Antonio are making fun of their peers, including the king, it was hard to keep track of who was talking. But seeing it acted out, and knowing which voice belonged to which face made it a bit more clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment