Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Merchant of Venice, and Venice.

 I'm really excited about the Merchant of Venice, because it's set in Venice, where I just visited on my study abroad! I've never read this one before, and after my experience with Henry V, I was sort of hoping that there would be a little Italian somewhere in the play. Sadly, I was disappointed. So instead, I looked for other ways to connect my love of the language and my studies in Shakespeare. I foundan Italian show that summarizes Shakespeare's plays in Italian:

 There was a 2004 production of The merchant of Venice that was dubbed over in Italian. Here is the scene where Bassanio chooses the lead box to win Portia:

 At first it feels like watching some kind of Spanish soap opera (The Italian is so quick I can barely follow it), but then Bassanio's monlogue seems just... prettier. It is after all, Shakespeare's beautiful words in a very beautiful language.


Here are some pictures of my experience in Venice!


No comments:

Post a Comment