Thursday, January 26, 2012

Shylock in Italian

The main idea I was considering for research when I read the Merchant of Venice was anti-semitism. Shakespeare makes Shylock look like a hard-hearted beast who wanted to exact revenge regardless of pleas for mercy. He gains money through "thrift," and loves his money more than his own daughter. It basically plays into classic Jewish stereotypes of the day, that all Jews are money-lending cheats who subvert the economic system for personal gain. But as I looked through Italian sources, I found this blog in Italian that discusses Shylock as a deeper character. Of course, we know that Shakespeare does not create 2D characters. The writer makes the really good point that Shylock is really exacting his revenge because he has suffered a lifetime of criticism and discrimination from Christians. This monologue in Italian shows us a side of Shylock that reveals his anger and contempt for Christians:


Maybe Shakespeare was making a comment on the treatment of the Jews by Christians, and their hypocrisy in the matter. Antonio may have felt he was doing it for a reason, but as Shylock points out, he repeatedly disgraced him in public and "voided your rheum upon my beard and foot me as you spurn a stranger cur " and called him a "mis-believer and a cut-throat dog."

2 comments:

  1. I get so conflicted about Shylock. Part of me wants to sympathize with him. He can't even be a citizen, he's been spit at and made fun of. Antonio isn't apologetic when he needs to come ask for money. So sometimes, I don't even get angry with his want for revenge. Then I think about how he wants to cut out a pound of Antonio's flesh no matter what and it creeps me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor, I think this would be a great direction to go for research. However, what we discussed in class I think could be really intriguing as well-there could be some really fun insight into the disguises of Othello. Let me know if you would like anymore help furthering that direction.

    ReplyDelete